The Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery offers a one-week minimum externship in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery. The externship is designed to give undergraduate dental students exposure to Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery through office-based and hospital Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery experiences.
The externship typically lasts one week; however, longer externships can be arranged in advance. Externs are usually second and third-year dental students and are required to have the following:
- One letter of intent with a 2" x 2" photo, including short and long-term goals
- Curriculum vitae
- A letter of support from the dean of the College of Dentistry currently attending
- Two letters of recommendation
- Guarantee of liability insurance during the externship. This liability insurance can be purchased personally or be done as an umbrella policy through college currently attended
- Additionally, prior to the rotation, externs must have background check and sign confidentiality agreements with hospitals
- Externs must show proof of immunizations
Note that this position is an unpaid position, and the University of Oklahoma is not responsible for transportation to and from the University of Oklahoma nor is responsible for housing during attendance to the externship.